Sunday, May 3, 2009

Inch by Inch, Step by Step

The past few weeks have been hectic, with lots going on both in theatre, and in my life -- so this blogpost shall be my attempt at a proper (mega) update.

First things first: The 2009 Tony Awards Nominations will be announced this Tuesday, May 5th (Cinco de Mayo, anyone?) by none other than Cynthia Nixon (Rabbit Hole) and Lin-Manuel Miranda (West Side Story, In the Heights).

I, for one, am uber-excited. I'd post my predictions, but I haven't been following the theatre scene much in the last few months since January, unfortunately -- so I'm not quite sure where things stand. All I know is, [title of show] is apparently eligible for a Tony, and I really hope this is true, so they can get some well-deserved recognition for their originality and heart.

As for other related theatre news: Spring Awakening fans (such as myself) will delight in seeing their favourite alums take to the stage once again. Directed by former ensemble member Eryn Murman, Caught in the Threshold is described as a "piece inspired by the contradictions and juxtapositions of daily life...explores the universal inner struggles that lead to growth and understanding from a new and energizing perspective." Threshold also stars Blake Daniel, Gerard Canonico, Andrew Durand, Jesse Swenson, and Morgan Karr of Spring Awakening. The performance will be held at the Peter Jay Sharp Theater on May 15th. Those interested can purchase tickets here.

Also, if you haven't been following former SA cast member Lea Michele's updates on Facebook like I've been (because I'm that much of an uber-stalker), or if you've just been living under a rock, then you need to know about her upcoming FOX show, Glee! The show, which airs May 19th, chronicles a high school glee club as a teacher (played by Matthew Morrison of Hairspray and Naked Girl on Appian Way) tries to get them to Nationals. It also stars former SA cast member Jenna Ushkowitz.

According to Variety, it seems that PBS will be airing Spike Lee's directorial adaptation of Passing Strange, which made its premiere at the TriBeCa Film Festival. It is likely that it will air sometime next year.

Thursday night (April 30th) seems to have been quite an eventful one, as both 9 to 5 and Waiting for Godot officially opened on the Great White Way. Ben Brantley of the Times gives his thoughts on Godot here.

That night was also incredible because my lovely peeps over at The Olivetree Review (Hunter College's one and only Literary and Arts Journal, natch) threw a 1920's Prohibition-era/Gatsby-inspired Open Mic Night. Dressing up was encouraged, and I went as none other than Sally Bowles of Cabaret (pictured above left)! You can find out more about the event here.



More to blog soon, and hopefully I'll upload some scans of some sketches I've been working on (yes, The Resident Artist actually does art)!

No comments:

Post a Comment